Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pausing to Say...

Before I get into the subject at hand, I just want to say that I know my posts here have been pretty sporadic. Sadly, that's probably going to continue for awhile, possibly through October. This is the busy season at work, and I'm working full-time, and working on my book (reading it through again), polishing the manuscript and the proposal in preparation to send to agents, taking a yoga class, going to a writers group, going to therapy, and oh yeah, having fun.

I feel like I'm enjoying a better social life than I have in ages, possibly ever. Not having that dog makes a huge difference (though I do miss her). I'm having a visitor this weekend, and another in May, and then in June my friend Leo's coming out here. In a week and a half I'm going to Seattle with a friend on my days off. I've been going out to karaoke nights, having movie dates with a good friend of mine, lunch dates with others, tons of tarot appointments. In a way, I feel like I'm coming out of my shell. I don't even know what precipitated this change exactly, but it's like all of a sudden at work, I can't shut up. That's not exactly new, I can never shut up, but my more twisted, sarcastic, sometimes dirty mind is coming out a lot more, and I find myself talking more to people I don't know so well and just generally being a lot more open. It's awesome. I love it. I'm enjoying it all to the max, and only wish that I could also include making out in that list of activities, lol.

There is SO much I want to blog about. I want to write about movies I've seen recently. I want to write a post about the book The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, which is probably one of my favorite books ever written. I reread it on my trip to Hawaii and have been meaning to write about it ever since. I want to do a full length blog post in response to Tara's response to my post about living in the dispensary. I want to post about the politics of comedy, and other social/political topics that interest me. I want to write about songs. I want to post about other books I'm reading. I want to post about writing. I want to finish my "Why I Love House" series because there are a few more installments coming. I want to write in detail about the writing residency I went to a month ago. And it goes on and on and on.

I just find it hard to keep up. In most cases, I'm months behind even on emails. I'm trying to work out a schedule that allows time for EVERYTHING because I want to be able to do everything, but it's hard, I'm working on it, and still tweaking it all. So my posts may be sparser than usual, but I am trying to get in a rhythm somehow or other. ONe part that makes it hard is that by my nature, I say a lot (kinda what I meant by not being able to shut up, and good lord, lol) so my posts always come out long. I can't help it.

I've never been a woman of few words, just ask any guy I've ever loved, or anyone who's ever seen me really drunk.

But anyway, I just wanted to say I'm not intentionally ignoring the blog or anything, I'll keep writing, I promise (threaten?)

And now back to your regularly scheduled blogging...


Currently listening:

"Pet" - A Perfect Circle - one of my favorite songs by this group, headed by Maynard from Tool. I just melt at that first line, when he sings, "Don't fret precious I'm here," in this ominous and incredibly sexy way. I'm a pretty big fan of dry humor and sarcasm (as a fan of H ouse, that's probably already apparent) and Maynard does sarcasm so intelligently and well. I've always thought of Tool's song "Opiate" (one of my absolute favorites) as kind of playing an evil religious leader ("Choices always were a problem for you/What you need is someone strong to guide you...deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow...) which sort of points out the dangers of it all. And APC's Pet I think of in a similar vein, but playing an evil new world order type of leader ("Safe from pain, and truth, and choice and other poison devils...just stay with me, safe and ignorant, go back to sleep...I'll be the one to protect you from, a will to survive and a voice of reason). Ah, the song is just brilliant. I know I'm not doing it justice.

1 comment:

Linda said...

It's so great to see you in blogland again... I've missed you. Lots going on, very much, and I see you're busy though October and I'm wondering... you coming to Boston? or what? Peace always...