Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Radically Updated Link List

So, after not updating my link list since about a week after I started this blog, I gave it a radical overhaul. There are blogs I've meant to add for ages, and I meant to just do that.

But then I sort of went on a rampage. I started adding pages for my favorite bands and authors, and then I wanted to add pages for LOTS of authors, including plenty whose books I haven't finished reading, but who I'm really interested in and who have interesting sites.

You'll notice new blogs like Silver Lining's Adventures in First-Time Home-Buying, StargazerLeo's Samsara, Kalidurga's das Ding an Sich, Tara's Daily Dose of Cynicism, Stephen Kuusisto's Planet of the Blind.

There are also some music pages - the FAQ on that TOOL page answers just about every question you could have about TOOL, well up to 2001 anyway, and the Tori site, Hereinmyhead (named after one of my all-time favorite Tori songs, btw) has such a comprehensive collection of information, especially song lyrics and their variations, and commentaries about them. I also added pages for Fiona Apple and Damien Rice - those two currently dominate my iTunes Top 25 Most Played list, almost exclusively.

And authors, authors, authors and MORE authors. I added a lot of fucking authors, because I love them. A lot of my favorites are here, and there are so many more I would have included, but I got tired and the list got crowded. I added the authors of some of my all-time favorite books, like White Oleander (Janet Fitch), The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd), A Wrinkle in Time and sooo many others (Madeleine L'Engle), Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley), A Language Older Than Words and sooo many others (Derrick Jesnsen, my author crush, and I say that because my crush is on his mind, his writing, his depth, his politics, his philosophies, his insights and his sense of humor), My Ishmael (Daniel Quinn), Brave New Girl (Louisa Luna), The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy - still think this is possibly the best book I've ever read).

I had to include Khaled Hosseini, because The Kite Runner is SUCH a compelling book. I can't put it down. There will definitely be a full-length blog post fully loaded with spoiler warnings, once I finish it. It's intense. It makes me think about a lot of different things. I can hardly get through a chapter without crying. It's good.

I also included some of my favorite esoteric writers like Jan Spiller (her astrology book is by far one of the best and most accurate I've read), Angeles Arrien, Aldous Huxley (who I used to always call Aldo, in affection, with a group of friends who were all fans of his), Terrence McKenna (whose Food of the Gods I'm still halfway through), and The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

Then there are the esoteric scientists, the ones who mix metaphysics, religion, philosophy and spirituality together with science (and sometimes activism). I love that, because I'm fascinated by science (spent a bit of my time in college as astronomy/physics major) and equally fascinated by religion, philosophy, anthropology, the history of spiritual experience in humans and also how fucked-up it has gotten in our world. So when authors can bring those together, like a Ven Diagram that largely overlaps, I'm fascinated squared, you know? Almost nothing is more intriguing to me, and I think this is reflected in some of my authors too (Madeleine L'Engle most notably). So I've included Fritjof Capra, Carl Sagan, Zecharia Sitchin (my verdict's still out on him though, he may just be nuts, I don't know), and Mario Livio.

And there's the political authors, too. And the feminist writers. Activists. Environmental writers. So many authors who overlap in so many of these categories. Two comedians (so far). Two magazines (in which I've been published). A few organizations - Artsmith, where I had my writing residency in March, PNWA, and more. The site for the Orcas Island Writers Festival, happening this fall (come check it out, fellow writers). The Psychedelic Library - you can find some verrrrry interesting literature links on there.

I'm sure there'll be even more to come. They are all worth checking out, so pick your interests and have fun exploring! See how Diana Abu-Jaber's novel Crescent (about Iraqis in America) was banned in Texas. Read about Judith Herman's extensive research into psychological trauma (whether domestic or political). Check out David Cross's hilarity. Get real news with Democracy Now!

I just hope this new link list doesn't put me on some government watch list or something!

Note: A lot of the authors I've listed here are more on the "to read" list than the "already read," but such is the case with any hungry mind, don't you think?


Currently listening:
"Opiate" - Tool - one of my favorite songs ever. Two summers ago, when Tool played at the Gorge, some friends and I asked each other what one Tool song they'd want to hear if they could, and I chose this one. I think it's brilliant in its sarcasm towards organized religion. The music, especially the first few notes, are just perfect. And Maynard sings it sooo convincingly and ominously, like an evil preacher. And of course the title alludes to Karl Marx' quote that religion is the opiate of the masses, which gets points with me right there.

Here are the words:

Opiate

Choices always were a problem for you
What you need is someone strong to guide
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
What you need is someone strong to guide you

Like me, Like me, Like me, Like me

If you want to get your soul to heaven
Trust in me, now don't you judge or question
You are broken now but faith can heal you
Just do everything I tell you to do

Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
What you need is someone strong to guide you
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow
Let me lay my holy hand upon you

My God's will
Becomes me
And when he speaks
He speaks through me
He has needs
Like I do
We both want
To rape you

Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life now?
Open my eyes, blind me with your light now
Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life now?
Open my eyes, blind me with your lies now

If you want to get your soul to heaven
Trust in me and don't you judge or question
You are broken but faith can heal you
Just do everything I tell you to do

4 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! Great stuff here! I feel honored to be on your blogroll! Judith Hermann - didn't know she had a blog - and The Mists of Avalon, one of my childhood faves. I'll peruse more... and this will be a great project for ME on my own blog once my self-imposed deadline is conquered(and, please, don't kill yourself on that - I'll still make any changes you suggest ;^} ). Peace, Linda

Stargazerleo said...

I have link envy! Love the list, I may have to steal some. I've barely started my links and book list and you've reminded me of so many I need to add.

affectionately Aldo....Opiate at the Gorge...good times :)

KaliDurga said...

Grazie for the link! And, grazie for the links ;) It will definitely be fun to work my way through your list and see what kind of stuff you'll expose me to. I'm learning that's one of the absolute best things about getting to know new people: all the new things you end up finding through them.

Chrys said...

: )

I agree, Kali - I so love when friends turn me on to new things. Way more than half the things on this list were once recommended by someone, at some point along the line. I always like to remember those instances and those people and how all those connections came about.

Yes Leo, good times indeed. Fond memories. I can't wait for your visit, barely more than three weeks away! You know this whole Tool thing is all your fault, don't you? For some reason while walking home last night, I was thinking about when I first got into them (now THAT was an experience worth blogging about at some point). I blame you, but don't worry, in a good way.

L - hey you! Well, some of these (like Judith Herman's site) are websites and not blogs, unfortunately! It's a real hodge-podge. I just wanted to share the things that fascinate me in whatever form they were available.

I will never forget the winter I read Mists of Avalon, it was only a few years ago, in fact the same winter I blogged about awhile back, (tried linking to the post but it didn't work), but the one where I wrote about living in the dispensary and all that. That book was an epic journey. I loved it! Glad you're also a fan : )

You know, I read a few of her other books later on, and was a little disappointed, both in the stories and the writing. Didn't match the magic of Mists of Avalon for me at all. I hate when that happens.

And thanks for the slack on the reading deadline. I have a really, really full week of work b/c of Memorial Day weekend, blah!