Sunday, July 13, 2008

AmeriCorps and Other Possible Adventures

Wow, I'm exhausted. It's been awhile since I posted. I've been working a lot and also having a blast. I am just loving the group of people I'm working with this summer. I've also been busy researching every possible avenue for an adventure between now and next fall when I plan to go back to school. I've spent countless hours combing through AmeriCorps options, as well as any possibility I can find that could involve going abroad. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I feel like I have a lot of irons in the fire as the saying goes, and more would be even better.

Between last night and this morning, I did my (hopefully) last round of AmeriCorps combing. All told I looked through about 2000 listings. And narrowed it down to 20 to apply to. I'm feeling kind of adventurous, so none of the ones I picked are in WA. I think I've got a great array - some in CA (Bay Area/San Jose mostly), a few in Alaska, one in MD (for you, Linda), a few in New England, a few on other parts of the eastern seaboard, one in OR, one in New Orleans, one in Texas, one in AZ and one in West Virginia.

And I picked programs doing all sorts of different things. Some focus on volunteer recruitment, grantwriting and other things typically involved with running and fundraising for non-profit agencies. A few deal are aimed at alleviating poverty, a handful of others involve domestic violence/sexual assault prevention, a few positions are about mentoring at-risk youth or children with incarcerated parents, one is an agency for people with disabilities, one (and one of my favorites I must admit though it's not so social justice oriented) is working in a planetarium in Alaska. Since astronomy was my major for awhile in college, and a lifelong interest, that one jumped out at me immediately. That'd be so fucking cool. A few others are enironmental ed positions in cool places, like the coast of Maine, the mountains of WV, San Jose and New Orleans. And the biggest percentage of positions I applied for involve working with refugees and I think that rated so highly on my list because I really wish I could be working abroad, doing something with Peace Corps or a relief organization of some sort.

All I can say is things are set in motion. It's exciting to have all these options and I really want to pick something that will be adventurous, new, challenging, inspiring, and just a great experience with lots of opportunity for personal growth. Something good for my soul, I suppose.

So that's where I'm at at the moment, and still searching. So if anyone knows of any other cool opportunities or suggestions of what to do for a year, I'm interested.


Currently listening:
"Love Ridden" - Fiona Apple - Funny, I used to think of this song as a bad omen. It's a really sad song, lyrically and musically. I remember the first time I heard it - it was on my 25th birthday (which is interesting given the lyrics, which I'll include), and I wish I had paid more attention, instead of trying to fend off bad omens, because you can't really fend off the truth in a situation. That night is really clear in my mind, living in a room in a house full of people and drama, noticing the lyrics, relating in a way that, momentarily, because I identified, was really joyous. It's always great when someone puts your feelings into words. I'll highlight the lines that most struck chords with me. Maybe it was too accurate. For MONTHS I skipped this song whenever it came up. I just wish I had listened more closely. Strange how things evolve - now I love the song and appreciate it even more. Live and Learn, eh?

Anyway, here's the words:

Love Ridden
Fiona Apple

Love Ridden I will look at you
With the focus I gave to my birthday candles
I wished on the lidded blue flames
Under your brow
And baby, I wished for you
Nobody sees when you are lyin' in your bed
And I wanna crawl in with you
But I cry instead
I want your warm but it will only make me colder
when it's over

So I can't tonight, baby
No, not baby anymore
If I need you I'll just use your simple name
Only kisses on the cheek from now on
And in a little while we'll only have to wave

My hand won't hold you down no more
The path is clear to follow through
I stood too long in the way of the door
Now I'm giving up...on...you

No, not baby anymore
If I need you I'll just use your simple name
Only kisses on the cheek from now on
And in a little while we'll only have to wave

4 comments:

Linda said...

OOOh, go for the planetarium in Alaska. I have a good friend in the Kenai peninsula who'll take good care of you ;^).

BUT... if that does not work, best get your heiney down to Baltimore, where I'll take care of you!

Sounds like a great adventure and better plan. Keep us posted! Peace, Linda

Chrys said...

Hey hey now, I'm a grown woman, I don't need taking care of : ) But great company and awesome people to hang out with are always nice : )

Actually the Alaska one wrote to me and said they aren't doing a planetarium position this year, and the other position I applied for there is already filled. So, at this point, no Alaska for me. I'm definitely a little bummed about that.

No word from the MD one at all, but I do have a phone interview tomorrow with the New Orleans and Maine positions. So we'll see.

I'm also contemplating even wilder schemes. My switch is totally on. You have no idea. Sometimes I think I do best when I think I might be crazy, because that means I'm onto something really good.

Stargazerleo said...

I'm dying to know how the phone interviews went. I know you'll find a perfect next adventure! Hopefully we can catch up soon.

Those lyrics are pretty intense btw.

Chrys said...

Uhhh yeah, Leo, if I don't talk to you soon I think I'm going to explode - especially after you verrrrrrry intriguing "status update" on facebook - I'm dying of curiosity, woman. I'm also dying to divulge my latest possible scheme for the coming year, though not quite ready to go public yet.