Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blogging About Blindness

Last night I wrote a post about the convention I just went to for the National Federation of the Blind, and about the Colorado training center for the blind that I want to attend. That post was inspired in part by the fact that I just started reading the book Freedom for the Blind by Jim Omvig. It was recommended to me by my friend Jedi from my state affiliate.

It is an online book which can be read here, Freedom for the Blind. I am only on the second chapter and already it is stirring many thoughts, feelings, insights and internal discussions, and I can already tell that it's worth reading. I would highly encourage my blog readers to check it out, especially those that are my friends, or those that have other blind and visually-impaired people in their lives.

My visual impairment is a topic that figures prominently in my life but one I have not talked about much, so I think I'm going to do some blogging about it. Already there are several posts swimming around in my mind. Here are some of them:

-The word "blind"

-The "hierarchy of Sight" as the NFB puts it

-Normalcy and Blindness

And lots, lots more. Stay tuned, it's going to be interesting and exploratory and thought-provoking and awesome.


Currently Listening:
"Less Than Strangers" - Tracy Chapman - sad song, and I've been kinda sad lately, so I guess I'm okay that it makes me sad. I freakin' love her voice. She captures so much feeling.

You and me
Had some history
Had a semblance of honesty
All that has changed now
We shared words
Only lovers speak
How can it be
We are less than strangers

Oh it hurts to lose in love
Let anger and cruelty win
It's unfair that you doubt your feelings
And that you'll ever love again
I know that hearts can change
Like the seasons and the wind
But when I said forever
I thought that we'd always be friends

You and me had some history
Had a semblance of honesty
All that has changed now
We shared words
Only lovers speak
How can it be
We are less than strangers

I thought I saw you yesterday
I thought I passed you on the street
I swear I saw your face
I was not imagining
That you stole a glance my way
You walked away from me
My heart it may be broken
But my eyes are dry to see

You and me had some history
Had a semblance of honesty
All that has changed now
We shared words
Only lovers speak
How can it be
We are less than strangers

1 comment:

Story teller - Krishnadas Dwija said...

I am all in favour of politically correct lingo but I think 'heirarchy of sight' is a little out there.

I was surprised to know you don't read braille, I sort of assumed that you did. I am sorry that was unkind.

I am disappointed to read you didn't get a good scholoaship. Perhaps you will do better in the next atempt.

Perhaps you might have of heard of the training given to the blind in some parts of india. As shocking as it may sound, they are thought sad songs of Suurdas etc. about being blind, to sing while begging. There are some government and private schools which teach braille, its indian variants and vocational courses.

I just downloaded freedom for the blind. I shall get to it soon.

YOu should look up Suurdas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surdas
http://oldpoetry.com/oauthor/show/Sant_Surdas
It may not be avant-garde poetry but is very touching.