Thursday, October 1, 2009

Albinism Special on 20/20 Tomorrow (Friday)

Well I've been a bit out of the loop - heard about this awhile ago but didn't know it was coming up until a friend forwarded me an email. Here it is:

UPDATE: 20/20 Special: Overcoming Social Stigma of Albinism
Scheduled to air Friday, October 2nd at 10pm Eastern/9pm Central

Albinism
ABC News has added web articles and video clips to its site promoting the planned hour-long albinism special, scheduled to air on 20/20 this Friday evening. Visit the 20/20site for the latest information.

In support of tomorrow's 20/20 broadcast about albinism, NOAH invites members to contact their local ABC news station to offer to do an interview on the topics of living with albinism and/or living with a child with albinism to bring greater awareness to albinism in your community.

Here is the NOAH site: www.albinism.org.

I don't have TV and it probably won't be surfacing where I usually get my TV shows, so would be curious to hear what others think - I know I have at least a handful of readers who also have albinism. There really are some social stigmas that go aong with albinism - about the eyesight and the paleness. I personally a very glad that NOAH exists. I remember going to conferences when I was a kid, and feeling like those times, along with going to blind camp, were the only times I didn't feel like a complete outcast freak. So, I am glad the condition is getting some more positive exposure. I hope this show will also help clear up some common misconceptions that can still be prevalent.

I encourage everyone who can to watch!

On a side note, when I first got the email about this, I wasn't thinking of the show 20/20 and was just thinking eyesight, lol.

I'll be doing my own part, in a personal revolution sort of way (though a really subtle one) to overcome some stigma (more about visual impairment in general I guess) by starting to maybe take on something. And no, you don't get to know what it is, not unless or until it develops further. Cryptic enough?

Anyway, watch the show!


Currently Listening:
"No Surprises" - Radiohead - it's been in my head since the House premiere. I'm not hugely into Radiohead, and this song has kind of caught me off guard.

A heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.

You look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.

I'll take a quiet life,
a handshake of carbon monoxide,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
Silence, silence.

This is my final fit,
my final bellyache,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises please.

Such a pretty house
and such a pretty garden.

No alarms and no surprises (get me outta here),
no alarms and no surprises (get me outta here),
no alarms and no surprises, please.

No comments: