Friday, October 19, 2007

I got accepted...

I just got word, via e-mail, that I've been accepted for the Artsmith Residency here on Orcas Island this coming March. It'll be a weeklong residency and I'll stay at a local B&B, with four to six other artists, writers and scholars. It'll be a week of retreat for me, going inward and writing something original, longhand, getting those creative juices flowing. The B&B is gorgeous, with a real old-fashioned, homey, feel. I'm really looking forward to it - a vacation without leaving my island. There's a public reading at the end, and I LOVE reading. I participated in the reading last year (as part of the public, not as a resident), so...

WOO HOO!


Currently listening:
"Big Wheel" - Tori Amos - I love this line, "I've been drinking down your pain/I'm gonna turn that whiskey into rain." This song is sassy.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats, dear friend... yet another chit and a well-deserved respite and retreat.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hi Chrys!

I just want you to know that I liked your entries in Nathan Bransford's Totally Outta Control First Paragraph Contest!

I was especially taken with the second entry, because I also am working on a book with a character who has synesthesia. I don't have it, so I've had to do some research. Amazing. I feel like my brain's been opened up just from reading about it.

Good luck-keep writing!

Chrys said...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.

That paragraph was from a short story I wrote in college called Dark As Roses, which I still hope to publish, someday, somewhere.

I'm really fascinated by synesthesia. I don't think I totally have it, BUT I do see colors and numbers, in my mind, as different (consistent) colors, and have all my life.

I definitely want to hear more about your book - care to share some more about it?

Heidi the Hick said...

From what I've read about synesthesia, it sounds like you've got it!

Here are some books to check into:

Dr. Richard E Cytowic- The Man Who Tasted Shapes

Patricia Lynne Duffy- Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens

I got both from my local library.

I've had to put that novel on the back burner for a little while, because another one has popped into my head. Truthfully I'm not working on anything too intensely right now because after sending out my queries I need a break!

I will check in here again- this is a great blog!