Friday, August 17, 2007

I work so much better when I'm working

It's a proven fact in my life: I get more done creatively when I'm working. I work at a YMCA camp, doing dishes and prep cook stuff. The days when I'm scheduled to go in, I get up, put in some hours on my book, take care of errands, and go in for my evening shift.

On the days that I don't have work, I take napes, go on instant messager, do nothing, ell myself I'll get to my book later. I think the downtime is good for sure, and that my mind, heart, body and sirit need the rest and relaxation. I just find it a bit odd that I get my best creative work done when I'm also working.

I mean, ultimately, I'd love to make enough from my writing to be able to quit a day job. In fact I've had times in my life where I did quit day jobs in order to focus on writing. Sometimes it's been helpful and I've gotten tons done. Other times it hasn't. So maybe the correlation isn't so direct.

I am very strongly considering (I should probably say planning on) going back to school. I've never had great study habits. I worry a lot about how I'll balance school, work, schoolwork, writing, other fun things, and relaxation and time to breathe.

I guess for now, the point is to get as much done with my book as possible. Actually, it's one of my days off, and writing this post makes me itch to get back to revising my work. I'm on the chapter I was most afraid of. It's too long, too scattered, not held together by much, and it needs a lot of fixing. I think after this chapter, the book is mostly there, and done. That's not to say it doesn't need some re-working, it does, but I think it's more minor. Everyone who's read the manuscript really sailed through the last half and thought that was pretty complete. Just gotta get over the hump.

Currently Listening:
"Oh Well" - Fiona Apple

No comments: