Friday, January 15, 2010

Constant Eclipse - Flash One

I was scared that Mom or Dad would kill me in my sleep. Dad was an FBI agent and he had a gun that he sometimes kept in the house. I thought even he was afraid of Mom, who screamed all the time, got hysterically mad and spanked me when I was little. It was her I listened for as I laid in bed in my thin yellow nightgown, reading Nancy Drew by the light of my night-light, while I tried not to think about getting murdered.

My parents' bedroom door opened and I heard Mom’s sharp footsteps in the hallway. They sounded mad. I waited curled on my side with the book under the covers and screamed No, Mom, No! inside my head. If either of them came for me tonight, I’d jump out the window. I didn’t care that my room was upstairs. I’d jump anyway, land mangled on the driveway and run across our yard as fast as I could. I’d pound on our next-door neighbor’s door. If she answered, I’d tell her my parents were chasing me and beg her to protect me. If she didn’t believe me, I’d run faster and pound harder at the next house and go through the neighborhood with wild desperation until I found someone who would keep me safe. It might not last. My parents might follow me, shoot into the distance or use the authorities to take me back, but that was like the second story window and the driveway; if I wanted to survive, I'd have to think about it later.

The bathroom door opened and Mom went in. I kept freezing. She finally stalked back to her room and I breathed. The quiet lasted a few full chapters.

I got up and went to my window. It faced the driveway and our front yard with its giant tree. The moon was out, maybe full, I couldn’t tell. It was big and white and round and it cast shadows through the branches onto the grass. I had a huge feeling of dark and mysterious magic in my chest. If I could touch it, it would be like touching my soul. It would make me huge too, and magic. I stood watching the moon, the tree, and the shadows until I was finally tired.

I woke up early for school. I woke up alive. I went downstairs and talked to my dad about the weather as I got ready for school. I talked to him as cheerfully as possible and asked a million questions in hopes of hearing his usual cheerfulness back. It was reassurance that I would be okay. He was a good way to gauge if anyone was mad at me, because Dad agreed with everything Mom thought. Being downstairs helped me eavesdrop and figure out where everyone was and put me in a much better position to run if I had to. When I walked out the front door, I felt like I could finally fully breathe, and drank in deep breaths of fresh air.

*******

This is my first #FridayFlash - short pieces of writing posted every Friday, so keep reading! This is an excerpt from the very beginning of my memoir, Moonchild, a memoir about being a freshman in college with albinism.

Before the bulk of the book is a section called Eclipses, four chapters about my childhood and adolescence before college that really shaped that experience. This one is from the first chapter, Constant Eclipse, which is about my life when I was in elementary school. It's a pretty intense piece, I admit, but I figure, why not just dive right in?

~Chrys


Currently Listening:
"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" - The Darkness - something about the music to this song really reminds me of The Cars, which is just sort of...funny or something. It's an addicting song.

12 comments:

Linda said...

I've always loved the excerpt... off to tweet you! And welcome to #fridayflash! Peace, Linda

Marisa Birns said...

The first sentence captures one's attention at once!

Very intense vignette. Could feel the main character's anxiety as she made plans for surviving the night.

Well done!

Welcome to #fridayflash.

Anonymous said...

I want to know more. I want to read more! :) Love how the clauses in your sentences build momentum and keep it going. And I love the keeping of time by chapters read in a book!

Lovely.

Welcome to #fridayflash. :)

Chrys said...

Hey, thanks for reading! And for the FridayFlash welcome - I'm glad I finally joined (though now I'm contemplating whether to do Twitter or not).

I hope you'll stick around, and I'll go check out your flashes too :)

C

Cat Russell said...

Good story, very intense. And welcome to #fridayflash!

shannon said...

I think reading murder mysteries at bed time stirs up all kinds of imagined fears! lol Welcome!

mazzz_in_Leeds said...

Ah, using chapters as units of time - I do that :-)
Welcome to #fridayflash!

Chrys said...

Yeah, I still do that (using chapters as gauges of time) as an adult. It's a good way to mark time.

Thanks for stopping by. Ganymeder - I LOVE that name. This FridayFlash thing is pretty cool - I'm loving reading everyone's work.

petherin said...

Good opening line. I wonder if it's the kids paranoia or if she's really in danger. Made me want to read on, anyway, that's for sure.

Look forward to more of your fridayflash's.

J. M. Strother said...

That was pretty intense. I really felt for the kid, be the fears real or imagined. It is particularly heart wrenching that though she uses her father as a touchstone, and seems to get on with him better than the mother, she still fears him.

Welcome to #fridayflash.
~jon

Chrys said...

Petherin and J. M. Strother - thanks so much for stopping by and leaving comments. Everyone has been so welcoming to FridayFlash and it's been really nice. I will go and read your pieces as well!

As far as finding out anything about the story and whether things are real or imagined, well, I guess you'll have to keep reading!

Walking away mysteriously.

Chris Chartrand said...

Great opening line. Like others, I thought the opening was great. The tension and pacing were equally well done.

Welcome to #fridayflash