Thursday, January 21, 2010

Germs on the Playground (Or, Constant Eclipse - Flash Two)

During recess on the playground, I played with my best friend Lisa, a quiet girl with the straightest, longest brown hair in our grade. We sat in a tunnel and played Outer Space, which meant we named ourselves after planets.

“Do you like New Kids on the Block?” she asked me.

“What’s that, Mercury?”

“A music group. Everyone loves them.”

I shook my head. “I never heard of it.” At my house we only listened to Sesame Street and Disney.

“Oh,” Lisa said. “Hey Jupiter, let’s go to the tower.” I liked being called Jupiter. I played it over and over in my head as we walked across the wooden playground. I wanted to be someone else.

“Ewww!” yelled Awful Andy as we passed by his group of boys on our way to the tower. “Everyone get away! We’ll get Chrys germs!” The boys scattered and shrieked. One of them stopped running, turned and asked, “How many fingers am I holding up?” in a taunting voice. I could see the blurry shape of his hand, but it was too far away for me to make out individual fingers. I would never admit that I couldn't see well enough to know. It would prove they were right in their teasing, and give them more to use against me. Instead of answering, I ran after the boys as they dove away in horror. “I do not have any germs!” I screamed.

They were too fast for me to chase. “You can't catch us, Grandma!” yelled Lance. I knew it was him by his voice, and because he always called me Grandma, for my white hair. “Grandma's too slow,” he said to one of the other boys in the group. They were about ten feet away, and it was hard for me to distinguish their faces, especially because they were boys. Girls were easier to tell from far away because their clothes, backpacks and hairstyles were more unique and distinct. The boys all wore dark colors and had similar short haircuts, so I would've had to be closer to discern the details and separate them by names.

Lisa caught up to me as I made mean faces at the boys in the distance. We could still hear them talking. “She's a ghost,” said one, and I cringed. I hated when they called me that. “It's good we didn't catch her germs,” said another, kicking at the gravel and stirring up clouds of dust I could see. “Did you ever notice,” asked yet another boy in the huddle, “that every time she sharpens a pencil, she puts it so close to her eye and stares at it?” That must've been Kurt, because he always laughed at me after I came away from the pencil sharpener in our classroom and studied the tip of my pencil to make sure it was sharp. “She's a freak,” he said.

“Come on, Jupiter,” Lisa said quietly. “Let's go to the tower and play Outer Space some more.” We walked back to the castle but I kept looking back at the boys, my mouth slightly open. I wanted to run after them, prove that I wasn't a freak or a grandma and it wasn't my fault I had to look close at things like pencils to see if they were sharp, or hands to see how many fingers they were holding up. And that I didn't have germs.

Deep down though, I felt like a ghost, a weirdo beyond weirdos, and even though I wanted to, I felt like I had no solid grounds to defend myself. I sat in the tower with Lisa, and felt more like a mealworm than a celestial body.

Lisa came over my house that afternoon. “Well, how was school?” Mom asked as we settled in with my brother Randy for an afternoon snack. It had to be healthy so we had peanut butter crackers. Mom sat down at the table with us.

“They did the ‘Chrys germs’ thing again,” I said and bit into my cracker.

“Did you provoke it?” She was across the table so it was hard for me to see her features, but her voice made it sound like they must be hard.

“No,” I said right away. “They’re mean, Mom.”

“It’s really stupid,” Lisa chimed in my defense. “I mean, they’re just so dumb. You don’t have germs. And even, let’s say you really did, it’s not like you catch them just like that.” She tapped me quick on the shoulder. “Boop!”

“Right,” I said. Even Randy, who was two years younger and probably didn’t know what germs were, nodded his head.

“Actually,” said Mom, “germs do jump that fast.”

I couldn’t finish my crackers. I was crushed. Sometimes it felt like she thought I had germs too. She didn't ever touch me. I had the strong feeling that she was ashamed of my albinism, of having a child who was such a freak. It was a topic we never touched. That shame seeped into me like osmosis.

*******

This is my second #FridayFlash - short pieces of writing posted every Friday, so keep reading! This is an excerpt from the very beginning of my memoir, Moonchild, a memoir about being a freshman in college with albinism.

Before the bulk of the book is a section called Eclipses, four chapters about my childhood and adolescence before college that really shaped that experience. This one is from the first chapter, Constant Eclipse, which is about my life when I was in elementary school.

Some names have been changed.

Another excerpt from the same area of the memoir:

Constant Eclipse - Flash One


Currently Listening:
"American Cowboy" - Jada - I can't believe I'm publicly admitting to listening to this song, b/c it's soooo not my style, and it's pretty stupid (and I'm not into cowboys, lol), but I blame House for getting me stuck on this song - for anyone who watched Season 5, it's the song from Chase's bachelor party. It's infuriatingly addicting and strangely, I like it, kind of a lot. So there!

11 comments:

Diandra said...

Yep, kids can be very, very mean... but adults should know better, don't you think?

Linda said...

The horribleness of being different, the meanness of others who will not bend their expectations.

Great excerpt. I'm curious how you've reorganized everything, the front end a prequel of sort to your freshman year on the Eastern Shore.

So good to see you around these parts, so good to see you putting your stuff out there. Peace, Linda

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and so heart-wrenching. It's so telling that Lisa was kinder and more nurturing than the mother was. Your writing is really enjoyable to read. It's clear and strong and tells a great story. Thanks so much for sharing. ~ Olivia

Cat Russell said...

You've done a wonderful job of capturing childhood memories and emotions. Heart wrenching.

Chrys said...

Thanks all for your comments. I really appreciate it, from the heart :)

Linda, to answer your question, I think the ms is the same as last time you read it. That's around the time I got discouraged and stopped working on it, so I don't think it has changed much if at all since last you saw.

Off to read others' flashes!

Laura Eno said...

That was a heartwrenching, but beautifully written, piece. Children are cruel, but adults' reactions can be devastating to a child.
Somehow I missed your story last week so a belated welcome to #fridayflash!

mazzz in Leeds said...

"felt more like a mealworm than a celestial body" Awww :-(

As this is a memoir, I hope this means there was a real Lisa standing by at the time

Deanna Schrayer said...

This reminds me so much of three brothers I went to school with that were made fun of all the time, mainly because they were dirt poor and were rarely clean. I always took up for them, I felt so sorry for them.
You've done a great job of portraying those hurtful feelings.
welcome to #fridayflash!

Estrella Azul said...

This was beautiful and heart breaking at the same time, very nicely written!

Chrys said...

Ahh, in all my preparations to leave this weekend, I missed seeing these most recent comments. I really appreciate them.

I think, sadly and unfortunately, that this experience I wrote about is all too common for kids who are different in any way. The details are probably different, but the underlying feelings and all of that are often the same.

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

sry I dont even know u but i was searching for the song American Cowboy by Jada and came across this blog...gotta say that song is extremely addicting! LOVE IT!