Thursday, January 28, 2010

Skipping Out

Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass on #FridayFlash this week!

I spent all day wrapping up the loose ends of my school's scholarship application, photocopying documents, turning them in. And then I spent hours tweaking my resume, filling out applications, writing cover letters - all for four jobs. All of them had upcoming deadlines. I'm crossing my fingers that something pans out because they all sounded rad.

Tomorrow I get up at an ungodly early hour to catch the train to the airport for an early morning flight to spend the weekend in Baltimore at a leadership training for the National Federation of the Blind. And I haven't even started packing!

It's going to be a crazy weekend with a lot of time spent on planes (I have a layover each way), and right after I get back, during music class on Monday, I have to do my first solo performance (standing in a group, but singing solo). LOTS going on!

So yeah, no flash this week, but after I get back I will cycle through and read others' flashes. I may have to skip next week too - Thursday is my 29th birthday so I might be occupied, or hungover or otherwise incapacitated!

Have a great weekend everyone. Linda, I hope to see you! People on Orcas: go to Janet Thomas' reading @ Darvill's on tomorrow, the 29th @ 7pm. I am so envious and wish I could be there, so GO! It'll be great. And people in Portland, there is a show tomorrow night on Belmont & 30th (maybe 31st) with five bands. It sounds really awesome, and it's at a place that is in danger of going out of business, so go and support! Also, a girl from my class is playing and backup singing at the show (and she has points in my book b/c during one of our classes, discussing different vocal techniques, she brought up Alice in Chains' "Rooster" and Layne Staley's voice as a perfect example).


Currently Listening:
"Get Home" - Sarah Slean - I FINALLY took my friend Leo's advice and checked this chick out, and I can't believe I waited this long. She's pretty awesome. Her voice is full and expressive and I like her words. I keep having the sense like I've heard her before, especially this song, but I don't know where or when, or if that's just a figment of my imagination. I've been stuck on this song, it grabs you right away. She's a powerful vocalist.

You can stay the night
You can look me in the eye
You can fake your way
To the finish line
But don't you dare profess to love me
When you're lying to another
That's not love, that's just wishin'
Wish and love are not the same thing, yeah

Get home, get home
Take a look at her
You know, you know
That you love her

Mr. Masquerade
Getting good at this charade
Go on fool yourself
With talk of poetry
Don't you dare pretend you're sorry
To me, you're just a tourist
You've gotta stand next to the real one
Cuz you know you'll never be one, yeah

Get home, get home
Nothing more to say
You know, you know
That you'll never change

Oh you'll never change
I don't play the game
With liars and cowards
Liars and cowards
Liars and cowards
Like you

Get home, get home
Nothing more to say
You know, you know
That you'll never change
Oh you'll never change
I don't play the game
With liars and cowards
Liars and cowards
Liars and cowards
Like you

5 comments:

David Masters said...

As it's my first visit to your blog I thought I'd say hi, wish you well on your travels, and a happy birthday.

Laura Eno said...

Have a great time and happy birthday!

Stargazerleo said...

So happy to see you posting Sarah Slean, that song is one of my favorites!

Good luck with your performance on Monday!

Chrys said...

Thanks for your comments :) And for the birthday wishes!

Travels went well-ish - exhausting, whirlwind, mixed experience at the conference, so yeah, well-ish. We'll see how the performance goes, in a few hours.

Leo - This song is my favorite of hers so far, for sure.

Iso said...

Happy birthday Chrys! Wish I could join you all for the celebration. Good luck on Monday with both the song & the biology.